- Project Details
- The extension to St. Paul's Anglican Church, Manuka, is the latest stage in the development of the church building, begun in 1938. Located in the popular Manuka precinct, it offers a leafy sanctuary in the heart of the city. Driven by an expanding congregation, the extension increases the capacity of the Church by 50% and provides a new and spacious choir gallery. The extension called for the elongation of the Church by two structural ‘bays’, approximately 7m in length, and the reconstruction of the southern façade to it’s original condition.
The extension of the church and the associated landscaping, as part of the St Paul’s masterplan, helps to bring a clarity and unity to the internal and external spaces. Internally, the extension provides for the seating capacity to be increased, internal flexibility improved and the refurbishment of the entry spaces. Externally, the new landscaped areas provide disabled access to the Church, enhanced visibility and safety, new parking and improved arrival / departure sequences. The new landscaping provides a distinctive setting for such a prominent Church building.
The extension follows the original design and uses authentic materials including matching load bearing brick columns and external skin, hand carved ornamental trusses, matching floor boards, and window and door treatments. Great effort was placed on ensuring that the impressive detailing of the original was matched so that the integrity of such a high profile building was not compromised.
With reference to the Conservation Management Plan, the masterplan and subsequent building works ensure the significance of the buildings and the site are retained and enhanced.
"The Anglican Church required St. Paul's to be a 'Church of the City' and a 'Church of the Village'. The site has been restructured to achieve these objectives, by opening up vistas to the city and the village and creating a useful and attractive landscape setting for the Church."